Sunday, May 25, 2014

The Fault in our Stars Review

The Fault in our Stars
Title: The Fault in our Stars
Author: John Green
Genre: Young Adult, Romance
Publication Date: January 10th 2012
Publisher: Dutton Books
Pages: 313

Synopsis: 
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.
My Rating: 

Review: 
I finished it. And I've thought about what to say about it. 
I'll start with - I think this is an AMAZING book. To its very core. It's a real book - about real life, what happens in real life - you grow up, you mature, you might get sick, you might fall in love, truly fall in love, if you're lucky and then you die. It's a very real book about a very real story. I think John Green is an amazing author, who managed to write an extraordinary book. 
And I'm saying all those amazing things yet I'm giving the book four stars. Well, yes.As much as I loved it, and I did, believe me, what I didn't enjoy was reading how a young life slowly faded away in nothingness, and anohter one was to follow, and there was nothing no one can do about it. Yes, I do understand, and I do now this is how life works, that these things happen every day, but that does not mean that I enjoy reading about it. And this is coming from a person who says that a book is not a truly good if it doesn't shatter your heart into million pieces. But this, it was too much at times, and I know some of you will hate me for saying it, but it was. On the other hand, I liked the slim jokes, the type of humor, the type of relationship Hazel and Gus had. Because, like I've said gazillion times in this review, it just felt real, in a way that you can connect to their love. 
Well, what I can say at the beginning is that I did not feel that this was my TYPE of books .. not really. The author however really impressed me in a way he portrayed the life of people and specially teenagers who suffer from various types of cancers. I LOVED the way he described the life, the thoughts that the characters always care about and how it is really meaningful of being surrounded by people who love you. 
What really surprised me is that I didn't felt sad when it came to Gus 'Augustus's' death part. May be that there is something wrong with me ~~ Or maybe because I already predicted it unconsciously while reading the book.
... because I know myself well and I know HOW Highly Sensitive I am.
I think it was brilliant, but I can't, I just can't give it 5 stars, not because it wasn't an amazing book, but because of me and my perceptions of things, which may look childish and naive to some of you, because these things happen all the time, but this is just me.

I am looking forward to the movie! 
Alex 

No comments:

Post a Comment